Friday, September 10, 2010

The End is Nigh

Only a few more days remain in the long transit from Shatsky Rise to Honolulu. As we approach our MGL1004’s final destination, I have started to think about how I will enjoy becoming submersed in all the simply luxuries of civilization again. For example; being able to make a phone call whenever I chose and being able to chose what I want for dinner from the super market, just to name a few. It is easy to take such luxuries for granted while shore side, but life at sea helps develop a little greater sense of appreciation.

Life at sea has had its advantages though. As Jun mentioned, the scenery is gorgeous. Looking out upon a vast ocean gives you a new sense of space. Being able to see for miles in all directions, with no buildings, mountains, or trees to obstruct your view. While at sea I have found myself in the galley for hours, engaged in interesting conversations with people who have had many interesting experiences from sailing. This has helped me find a greater appreciation for the entertainment value of a good old fashion conversation. Finally, being at sea for so long and isolated, to some extent, from the rest of the world you learn something about yourself. How you handle certain situations that most people never experience in a lifetime.

Overall, my experience aboard the R/V Marcus G. Langseth, as a watchstander for the Shatsky Rise cruise, has been a positive one. I am very glad that I signed on and will take away a great deal of experience and appreciation for life at sea and seismic data acquisition. I am appreciative to all who have made this experience possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment